Monday, 11 February 2013

USCGC Healy & Half-Life's Borealis

The USCGC Healy is a Ice Breaker ship owned by the United States Coast Guard. USCGC stands for United States Coast Guard Cutter, cutter being the name for their commissioned ships. It is capable of breaking 1.4 meters of ice at a steady speed of 3 knots. It also containts 390 square metres of laboratory space, sensor systems, oceanographic winches and living space for up to 50 science staff.




In Half-Life 2, there is a lost ship called the Borealis. It was an Aperture Science research ship that was involved in a large-scale teleportation experiment, which mysteriously vanished from Dry Dock. Since then, the Combine have been searching for the mysterious vessel. 

I didn't know about this before, but it turned up in my search for the Healy. Obviously it is inspired by the ship, or at least a similiar Ice Breaker. I might see if I can find the Borealis in-game and see it for myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment