Thursday, 28 March 2013

In Progress #10


It's nearly 4AM so I'll keep it sweet. Texturing is taking agees.

Tuesday, 26 March 2013

In Progress #9, Exterior (modelling) done

I say done, there are some parts I'm planning to revisit but for now I'm marching on in the hopes of making progress.




So yeah, I've unwrapped the bottom of the hull and slapped a quick placeholder texture on it for now. I'm still undecided about whether to go with the white/red colours or the more rusted orange/blue of the SS America, so that's something to experiment with in the future.

I originally unwrapped the hull in such a way that it would use a tiling texture at a 1x2 ratio, like a 1024x2048 texture. The texture tiled horizontally, not vertically. However this allowed for virtually no unique elements, it had to be uniform to avoid artefacts. So here I tried unwrapping the ship fully onto a 2x1 sheet (it's currently 4096x2048 but it'll probably be knocked down from that). This allows for fully unique detailing, but it's not very efficient and requires it's own, high resolution sheet.

I'm still debating which method (tiling or unique texture sheet) to use for the hull, so I'll carry on experimenting with it.

Thursday, 21 March 2013

In Progress #8


Today I worked on the side of the ship. I created the side rail (barely visible here, unfortunately) for the ship,  the staircase and platforms for each deck, and the lifeboat cages. 

What's left? I've just got to work on the top of the ship, and then I'll be done with the front segment. Then I'll start modelling the rear segment, which has far less detail for several reasons; it is not visible from the front deck or any of the playable space, and unlike the front of the ship it's not designed for accessability.

An important thing to note here is that every ship I've looked at is different. Most don't even allow passengers to walk along the side of the ship, however this is something I planned to do from the start, so I kept it in. What I'm going for is a mix of, say, the Duke of Lancaster and the SS America, with hints of the MS Expedition.

Not much further to go now until I can start texturing. That's where this'll all finally come to life! :)

Wednesday, 20 March 2013

In Progress #7


This is taking longer than I wanted it to. Gah. Hopefully more progress tomorrow!

Saturday, 16 March 2013

In Progress #6


We're getting there, slowly. Rough outline is there, right now I'm just refining it to look more ship-shape. Get it? hur hur. 

Friday, 15 March 2013

In Progress #5

I've been modelling the exterior of the ship, so far I've got the base of the whole thing done, I'm just working on making the front look nice before I do any of the rest.



The mesh has gone slightly wonky in places, which is something I'll have to fix. It's difficult adding extra geometry to a curved mesh as it is, and as I do I tend to warp other parts of the mesh. It's unfortunate, but it's fixable.

Modelled from a box, strangely enough! Thank god for Free-form-deform!

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

In Progress #4 -- interior frame modelled

I didn't get around to finishing the Captain's Quarters yesterday, something more important cropped up so I didn't get time for it. However, today I managed to finish off the last part of it and start the bridge, which is nearly there. Bear in mind this is just the frame, without props, so it looks bare. I might add some more detail to the entrance wall, as I feel it's a little sparse. 

Anyway, here's the bridge;






Sunday, 10 March 2013

In Progress #3

Today I almost finished the Captain Quarter's framework. I made some changes to the area on the fly, as I felt it didn't feel grounded enough. Generally speaking I've expanded the corridors that surround the rooms and eventually lead to the bridge. 

I wanted to finish this room off today, but I've still got to throw in some windows. I haven't eaten yet so I'm gonna call it a night now.





Saturday, 9 March 2013

In Progress #2

Today I modelled the interior framework of the Dining Hall, and the connector that joins it to the Lounge. There's a few things I'd like to change and add to the sections created so far, but I'm going to keep pressing forward so I can make progress.



Oh, and here are some UDK screengrabs. This is why, at this stage, I'm not throwing it in engine, other than to check the scale :D



Edit: Oh! I forgot. Originally you were going to leave through a broken window. As in, a huge window. Like a stained glass affair. But, no ship I've looked at has such window, so I decided to make it a regular door. Then I thought that was kinda lame, so now you crawl through a broken (regular-sized) window. Hence the one window along the side with no bars. I've tested this in UDK with collision and it works perfectly fine, so I'm sticking with it for the time being.

Thursday, 7 March 2013

In Progress #1

Originally, my plan was to make the exterior of the ship first, then make the interior. By make, I mean finished, as in put in engine and textured. However, recently I've been questioning this plan. First I shuffled it around, instead planning to make the interior first so the exterior can fit around it.

I've been talking to people and it seems like the smartest idea to make the core of the interior first, i.e everything but set dressing, and then make the exterior around it. I'm anticipating some trouble getting both sections to fit together properly, so this way I can make sure the core of the level is done before I start putting in props.

And on that note, I've started modelling the interior segments..




It looks very bare without the props - barstools, lounge chairs, tables ect. - but it works in engine and is to scale, so I can use it to make sure the exterior lines up properly.

More as it develops. Back to you, studio.