Friday, 12 April 2013

In Progress #11

So yeah, it's been a while since I made a post, and there's a reason for that. Progress has been slow, almost painfully so, and it's kinda demoralising. Still, made progress finally.

It's taken me a fair few tries to get my head around how best to unwrap the ship. At first I tried to use Vertex Painting to break up the large spaces, but I felt it lacked specific detailing. Then I tried using unique textures for each segment, which not only required multiple large sheets but gave low texture resolution. Eventually I settled with a reworking of the vertex painting method using a blend of 3 textures instead of 2, which creates a better look. I might go back and compress this back into two, but for now, I like the 3. Most of the ship uses a tiling texture and vertex painting to mix, using a blend texture. The hull uses a tiling texture that tiles only horizontally, and the staircase along the side uses it's own texture.




No comments:

Post a Comment